Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Battling burn out

I love my wife. When I think about her, a smile flickers across my face. Almost every weekend it's guaranteed that the following will take place. She'll wake up in the morning, have her morning cup of coffee... then get busy with the things that need to be done around the house.

 She will work at a frenetic pace. Start a load of laundry, fold a load of clothes, make sure the dish washer is running, vacuum one room then mop the kitchen floor. It's a wonder to behold as she works in multiple rooms at what appears to be the same time.

Now... all the women that are reading this are probably wondering "why... since you notice this, don't you get off your behind and help her?"

That... is a brilliant question! We're newlyweds - we've been married for about 6 months. I don't know her system. She hasn't discipled me - or taught me her system. I have asked - she occasionally asks me to do some things - which I do well... but she hasn't taught me her system.

Even bigger than that, sometimes she get frustrated because others in the house don't see all the work that needs to be done, so she truly feels that all the responsibility lies squarely on her shoulders!

What I see in our house on a weekly basis is the same thing that I see in the church. The same small group of people run around frantically trying to hold things together and make things happen.

This... is a recipe for burn-out and frustration.

In Matthew 9:38 Jesus tells his disciples to "Pray that the Lord of the harvest will send laborers into his harvest." The thing is... if we don't teach them how to "pick the grapes" then they're really just sitting in the way and there is no need for the Lord of the harvest to send more workers.

We have to train the workers that we have!

No comments:

Post a Comment