Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Why being good isn't enough...

In an attempt to be more healthy and shed off the extra pounds I purchased Nutrisystem. The will send you breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks... all you basically have to do is add your own fruits and vegetables. That sounds easy doesn't it?

Then explain to me why I came home from work and dove head first into a bag of potato chips...

The answer is easy. I want to eat right and healthy, but years and years of poor eating choices comes back to haunt me. If I am going to be successful, I need to recognize that my past ways are not good for me and that I need to change them. More than that... when I feel weak, I need to call out for help because clearly, I am incapable of doing this through an act of will.

What does this have to do with Christianity? Everything!


1 Corinthians 6:9-11
New Living Translation (NLT)
 9 Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, 10 or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. 11 Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
Paul is writing a letter to the church at Corinth and he does something that most Pastors wouldn't do. Instead of praising them for where they are, he reminds them where they came from. He also reminds them of the consequences of their past actions.

Take a moment and reflect on all the ways that you've missed the mark. If you can't think of any way that you have... that could be a sign that your relationship with God may not be where you think it is, because the Bible clearly states that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Once you've done that... don't dwell there. Remember that Jesus came and died for us so we could be cleansed by the shedding of His blood for us. Remember the cost that was paid so God could view us as holy.

 Don't treat your salvation carelessly.

Struggle to remember where you came from and fight to stay where you are... in the grace of God!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment