Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Oatmeal cookies aren't sinful...

I love cookies. There is nothing better than the smell of a hot cookie baking in the oven. I CANNOT WAIT for them to cool... I love grabbing a hot cookie... with 2 hands because it droops under its own weight because it hasn't cooled yet. It's too hot and burns my tongue a little... but it is soooooo good.

The truth is, if you put an oatmeal raisin cookie in front of me, I am almost powerless.   I am drawn to them... and I can't eat just one.

If I say to myself "Don't eat them, don't touch them... don't even think about them!" It doesn't work. It really just makes me want them more!

Sin is the same way - "Don't handle! Don't taste! Don't touch! Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe body discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person's evil desires." Colossians 2:21-23

Colossians 2:20 starts off by saying "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world."

Colossians 2:12-15   says "For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all your sins. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross.

I know people who have adult onset diabetes. This realization, for them, means that they cannot eat oatmeal cookies anymore. This truth outweighs their desires. Christianity is the same way. the truth that Jesus died for our sins should outweigh our desire to sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment