Monday, July 15, 2013

How do you know where you're going?

My cousin told an interesting story last night, as we sat across from the table from each other eating dinner. He's a musician, who, before he made it big had to drive to wherever he could find work. One rainy night, he was getting ready to drive 10 hours to get to a gig, and his GPS fell out of his car, and almost landed in a puddle of water. At that moment, he realized that he was about to drive without a real idea of where he was going. He was dependant on the GPS, but didn't have a good road map!

It's really easy to listen to the voice of someone that thinks they know where they are going, but I think all of us have at least at one time or another gotten bad directions from our GPS. I was trying to find a venue the a few weeks ago, and my GPS stopped me in the middle of a highway!

If you ask a Christian ant of the following questions:

  • where they are going?
  •  or what their mission is?
  •  how are you serving God?
  • what does God want you to do?
you'll get a variety of answers, most will be tentative at best, very few will be positive about their mission.

As Christians, we should look at how Christ, who was very much God lived His life and try to do the same. Jesus answer to this question was simple:

I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me. John 5:30
 Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work. John 4:34
 The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory, but the who seeks the glory of him who sent him is there, and in him there is no falsehood. John 7:18
...but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father... John 14:31 
We can see example after example of the map the Jesus followed. His map was set by God, and He followed it without deviation.

Let us struggle to get our directions from God and not try to make our own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment