Monday, August 13, 2012

Do you ever wonder what God is looking for?

Do you ever wonder what kind of person God is looking for? I know a lot of people do, and I know a lot of my own life I have tried to make myself into the image of what I thought God was looking for in a person to serve Him. I mean, it's simple, right? You read the Bible, and you find out what our Biblical heroes did and try not to make the mistakes that they made and you're in... right?

Or... what about prayer? What if I pray really, really hard... is that what God is looking for? Is He looking for someone that goes to church 2 times a week and gives to the poor?

To some degree, I think every Christian has struggled with this question. Are we significant in the eyes of God, and will our efforts be recognized or do they even matter.

I think this is slightly backwards, it's not about us, it's about God.

In John 4:23 Jesus is talking to this woman that we call "the woman at the well" - she's not a Christian, she's not even Jewish and Jesus tells her... this:
But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4:23-24 ESV)
GOD IS LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WHO WORSHIP HIM!

In Matthew 6, Jesus tells His disciples that God knows that they need food, and clothing, but the key thing is to seek the Kingdom of heaven first!

In Matthew 27, when they ask Jesus what the greatest commandment is, He tells them to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind.

To me, it's pretty consistent. Let us start off this week being the type of people that God is looking for... people that seek Him first. Selah

No comments:

Post a Comment