Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It's not a suggestion...

When I was in college, I ran for student government, twice. Once in my Freshman year, then again in my Sophomore year. The college passed a new rule that said "Freshman were not allowed to have cars on campus." As an elected official, I lobbied to have that changed, because the College Handbook clearly stated that Freshmen could.

My push for change was not based upon a suggestion, or an opinion. It was based upon the rules that were written.

The thing that troubles me most about what's going on in Christianity is people wanting to change the rules. Instead of reading what the Bible says, and understanding it - people are taking parts of it out of context, and twisting it - and taking their own suggestions about the way things should be and living by those instead.

I have heard people on TV saying that you should "Love your neighbor as yourself" and then use that as an excuse to not tell someone that what they are doing is wrong and against the laws of God.

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:36-40 ESV)

The basic premise is that we should love God with everything that we have. This is because we know that in God there is life! To love our neighbors as ourselves is to ensure that our neighbors do not incur the wrath of a Holy God who does not change.

Loving God is not a suggestion. In order to love Him, we must know Him. We cannot love God without loving His laws and His statutes. 

The Psalmist encourages us with these words:

I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.
(Psalm 119:15-16 ESV)

This week, let us strive to meditate on God's precepts, ways and statutes - which are revealed in His Holy Word. It's not a suggestion...



No comments:

Post a Comment