Saturday, August 11, 2012

It makes a difference...

I remember when my oldest son was about 3 or 4 years old. He had just learned that we kept snacks in the pantry. He asked if he could have a snack one evening before bedtime, and we said no. As long as we were in the room, he was a good little boy and stayed away from the cabinet.

About 15 minutes later, I think I was in my office working on something, and he wandered into the kitchen, opened the pantry, and I heard the familiar rattle of plastic holding the snack. (I guess he didn't realized that sound traveled...) I walked into the kitchen and he had this guilty look on his face.

It was really amazing to me... when he knew I was in the room, he stayed away. When he thought I couldn't hear, he would try to disobey.

Sometimes, I think Christians are like that too. When we are with other Christians, we tend to be more Christlike. When we are left on our own, sometimes we are less diligent.

I think the Apostle Paul understood that. He dedicated a whole chapter to how he struggled with sin, and understood that grace makes it possible for us to be victorious.

Paul encourages us to stay in an attitude of prayer and to let God's Holy Spirit reign in our lives. That we should walk away from anything that looks tempting. By remembering that God is always with us, we are less tempted to put our hand in the cookie jar!

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.
Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-24 ESV)

This weekend, let us live our lives in constant communication with God, and let us see what a difference that makes in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment