Thursday, February 21, 2013

Are you waiting for a prersonal invitation?

I remember when I was a new Christian. I wanted to do something big for God. Evangelize the world. Let everyone know about the love of God, but it's easy to get overwhelmed. There's the feeling that you don't know everything. How could people ever listen to you? Pretty soon, doubt sets in.

After that, I would pray for God to touch me, like He did my heroes in the Bible. I wanted this personal invitation from God Himself, saying "I need you to go to the corner of 5th and Main Street where you will see a man with a dog..." It may sound silly, but a lot of times, those are the constraints that we put on God.

God tells Jeremiah:

 But the LORD said to me,
  “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’;
 for to all to whom I send you, you shall go,
 and whatever I command you, you shall speak.
 Do not be afraid of them,
 for I am with you to deliver you,
 declares the LORD.”
(Jeremiah 1:7-8 ESV)
He takes all the excuses away. He says go, do what I command you, don't be afraid.

What does God say to us?

 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20 ESV)
See? It really isn't that different. So... there's your personal invitation. Let us struggle to not make excuses, but stick to God's plan. Go, speak, don't be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment