Thursday, September 22, 2011

Talk is cheap...

I was watching the trailer for Courageous, the latest movie by Sherwood Films, the church based movie production company that brought us the movie Fireproof, and a thought came to mind: 

It takes more than words... it takes conviction.

I have heard people say "God knows my heart." They usually say that when they've messed up in some way and they're feeling a little guilty about it. The thing is... God does know your heart. This reminds me of something that my Dad would say: "Man is the only creature capable of lying to himself." 

It's true, we do lie to ourselves and look at our own lives with forgiveness... but what if we didn't lie to ourselves. How would our life change if we really held ourselves to a higher standard? What if... our Christianity became more than words, but we lived it out with conviction?

If we judged our own actions against the words that we say, what would we find? Or better yet, if we prayed the words of Psalm 139 - would we trust God to guide us on the road to eternal life? He would, the question is... would we follow.

Ps 139:23-25 Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me;
Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about;
See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong - 
then guide me on the road to eternal life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...to be a Christian in action...not just in words. A powerful thought---and challenge to live at a higher standard. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete