Thursday, September 29, 2011

It's okay to be the weakest link...


For those of us that struggle to be the best Christian that we can be, we generally look at ourselves as being the weakest link. So many times we look at those around us and feel like they are much better Christians than we are and they never have a crisis of faith.

A few years ago, I was sitting around a table with a Pastor and elders in a church and I was telling them that I was frustrated. Frustrated because we, as Christians, frequently don’t share our struggles with each other – and if we aren’t transparent with each other, we’ll never be able to have the kind of fellowship that is required to be able to really help each other out when we do have struggles.

The entire table chuckled nervously.

Then the pastor said… “Brother, we’re all like this table. We have this thin veneer that looks like a strong wood that covers all the cracks and imperfections underneath. We’re just not comfortable sharing our faults.”

Wow.

I have weaknesses. Sometimes I’m ashamed to admit that I do, but they are there. But, I have learned that when you admit your weaknesses, there are people that will pray for you, encourage you, and God will strengthen you.

We have to remember that Satan is called the “accuser of the brothers/sisters” (Revelation 12:10). If he can make you think you’re the weakest link, embarrass you, or make you think that you are unworthy, then you won’t seek out fellow Christians for encouragement, and even worse, you won’t seek the face of a loving God who wants you to be your best and is willing to help you become all that he knows you can be.

At some point, we have to realize that through God’s grace and his Spirit, we can make it, even if it’s a difficult struggle.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
New International Reader's Version (NIRV)
9 But he said to me, "My grace is all you need. My power is strongest when you are weak."
   So I am very happy to brag about how weak I am. Then Christ's power can rest on me. 10 Because of how I suffered for Christ, I'm glad that I am weak. I am glad in hard times. I am glad when people say mean things about me. I am glad when things are difficult. And I am glad when people make me suffer. When I am weak, I am strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment