Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Hiding doesn't work...

I remember the first time I played dodge ball in elementary school. I was full of confidence. When the whistle blew to start the game, I fearlessly ran towards the center of the court to grab a ball. I stayed up towards the front,  recklessly throwing, dodging, trying to catch balls hurled in my direction.

Thinking about this now brings a new understanding to a Mike Tyson quote: "Everybody has a plan, until they get hit in the face."

By the 2nd or third game, I was hiding in the back, trying to dodge and not be seen.

This mirrors the life of a lot of Christians, the enthusiasm that we had when we first believed in Christ has been replaced with tentative actions and 2nd guesses.

17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you,Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you,but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock[b] I will build my church, and the gates of hell[c] shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed[d] in heaven.” Matt 16:17-19

Jesus says that the gates of hell shall not prevail. Most Christians read this passage like I played dodge ball. If we sit back and play defense, then will be protected.

Actually, when someone is on the offensive,  they don't bring their gates with them. Hell is not bringing their gates to you!   We are to be actively storming the gates of our enemy under the leadership of a sovereign God. We need to stand on God's word, pray that his will be done, and move when the Captain of the Lords host says move!

Let us struggle to not stand back in fear, but to join our Christian brothers and sisters around the world advance the kingdom of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment