Thursday, April 4, 2013

What do you do to remember?

My life is so busy and so fast paces that occasionally, I will forget something important. Not because I'm forgetful, it's just that the next important thing needs to be done, and as a result - things fall through the cracks.

I've resorted to a few different things to help me remember. I keep a notepad and a pen in my car for those random thoughts that pop into my head when I'm driving. I also try to make a to-do list at the beginning of the day that has everything that has the things that I have to do on it.

There are two things that never make it to my list though... prayer time and studying my Bible... but that's not what this post is about although that would probably be a good practice to have...

The truth is, we have a tendency to forget about God. In the old testament, people would heap stones together so they would remember what God did at a particular place, so that when they saw them, they would remember. During Passover, even until today, the people of Israel tell the story of how God brought them out of captivity - so they won't forget. At one point, God even told the people to put a fringe or tassels on their clothes - so that when they looked at them they would not forget!

And it shall be a tassel for you to look at and remember all the commandments of the Lord, to do them, not to follow after your own heart and your own eyes, which you are inclined to whore after. (Numbers 15:39)
Even with the promise of God's Holy Spirit, which He has given us to teach us all things and bring all things to our remembrance (John 14:25-27), we still tend to forget about God and will from time to time.

Let us not forget God. He loves us so dearly that He gave His son to die for our sins so our relationship with Him could be whole again. Let's struggle to remember that and let it impact our lives on a daily basis.

Selah


No comments:

Post a Comment