Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I promise to do my best...

I [state your name] promise to do my best, to do my duty to God and my country, to help other people, and to obey the law of the pack. These are the words to the Cub Scout Promise. When I was 8 years old, I took these words very seriously. Any time I put on my uniform, tightened up my neckerchief, and tightened my swanky little belt.

Fast forward 30 something years later, and I rarely think of this promise. I can honestly say that there are times when I have not done my best, or my duty to God or my country. As far as the pack goes? Well, I left the pack years ago, although I did go back as a Scout Leader for all 3 of my sons.

I guess the question of the morning is... "How long do promises last?"

This really jumped out at me last night as I was reading Matthew 1:1:

The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

It's a simple sentence, but it fulfills 2 promises:

And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever. In accordance with all these words, and in accordance with all this vision, Nathan spoke to David. (2 Sam 7:16-17)

I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, and your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice. (Gen 22:17-18)

God is and always will be true to  His words and to His promises. Let's struggle to remember that God is faithful, and let us stand on His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment