Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What do you expect them to do?

Recently, we were on vacation in Savannah, GA. While we were there, we saw 2 young men standing up in the middle of the touristy part of town preaching the gospel at the top of their lungs. I sat down and watched them for at least an hour each.

The first one, without fail would take things that were happening in real time and place it in a Biblical context. A nice car would pass by and as people would turn to look at it he would say something like: "Things like cars and clothes are temporary, they'll pass away. But the word of God hasn't changed. The message has been the same for over 2000 years."

The other said "We are all sinners, there is nothing that we could do to be right with God, but he sent His son to die on he cross so we could have relationship with God again."

After about an hour, 2 younger kids. It was their first time street preaching. One stood up and read from the Bible. We encouraged them.

Some people stopped and listened with smiles on their faces, others glared at them like they were an annoyance. Some ignored them. They still persisted.

I think a lot of people don't share the gospel because they are afraid of not being accepted by people. It's a difficult thing to stand up and talk when people don't want to hear what you have to say.

But in all honesty, it doesn't matter what people say. Jesus said:

A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they malign those of his household. (Matt 10:24-25)
We live in a sinful/fallen world. Jesus came and shed His blood so that the world might be reconciled back to God, but still, they have to believe this in order to partake of this wonderful gift. The gospel message is a hard message to give. Jesus told His disciples:

Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those in his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. (Matt 10:34-39)

So... my question is... what do you expect people to do when you tell them about the gospel? I, personally would hope that they receive the message, but I should be prepared for them to call me a fool. And that's okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment