Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Loving others can be hard...

When things don't go your way, it's really easy to start "throwing stones." I remember when I use to visit my parents - without fail, this scene would play out over and over again. Dad would say, "Can you believe what your Mom did?" - I would reply, "You've been married for over 50 years, are you surprised?" Mom would say, "I can't believe Dad did..." and I would give her the same reply.

We live in a fallen world. Many people don't even realize that they have a problem with sin that needs to be overcome, so it's very easy to look at people and start throwing little stones of:

  • You did this wrong
  • You offended me
  • You always
I won't lie. Some personality types truly get under my skin and irritate me... badly. Many times I find myself wanting to throw the same little stones... but in all honesty, we have been given a different directive as Christians:

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13:34-35
It's important to know what Jesus love looked like. He told people the truth that sometimes hurt their feelings, He called them to be better and to live in the Kingdom of God. The difference is that every "little stone" that Jesus threw was filled with hope, faith, peace, and love.

Let us struggle to remember what it means to truly love.

No comments:

Post a Comment