Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Adjust

I use to love playing chess when I was younger. I would sit and play for hours. One day, when I was playing against a more experienced player I needed to straighten out one of my pieces on the board. The piece wasn't fully on the square, and I couldn't quite figure out my next move because it was distracting.

In the game of chess, if you touch a piece, you have to move it... unless you say j'adoube which is French for "I adjust." Every once in a while, you just have to straighten things out else your perspective can get skewed.

And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him.  And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples,“Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”  And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” Mark 2:15-17
In this story, the Pharisees needed to adjust. Their vision of how the world worked had become skewed. They thought that in order to be "holy" you shouldn't have anything to do with those that were considered to be unclean. Jesus told them that they need to adjust.

Too many times, we surround ourselves with people who are like us, but in reality, we should be reaching out to those people who need a savior.

Who do you know that doesn't know Jesus? Do you tell them about His love, the gospel, salvation?

Let us struggle to change our perspective and reach out to those who don't know Jesus... so they can adjust and obtain this great salvation that we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment