Friday, May 11, 2012

160,000 kids miss school every day to avoid bullying.

160,000 kids miss school every day to avoid bullying. That... is a huge number. I would like to say that the Bible has an answer for this. Unfortunately, it doesn't. But then, society doesn't either. Society teaches us that acceptance is the only way to really stop bullying. As Christians, we are called to love - to be like Jesus, who said that he came for the people that were on the outside... the people who think they all have it together - don't need a help. (Luke 5:31)

I heard a story the other day about a boy who brought a taser  to school in order to defend himself. Tasers, guns, knives... it's almost the wild west. I am not sure what I would do in this situation.

What I do know is that David was in a similar situation. He was anointed to replace King Saul, and at every turn, Saul tried to take his life. There were many times that David could have taken the life of Saul, but he didn't. Instead, he really cried out for God to do something.

In our society, we are taught to take things into our own hands. We are expected to act, in some way. It's our right to be heard! But... what if we really cried out to God and trusted him to do something in our own lives. Do we trust that he would?

I admit it. For much of my life, God has been my last resort instead of where I go first. Maybe, I am guilty of trying to play God in my own life. My prayer is that I learn to be like the heroes that we see in the Bible, the ones that realize that you pray first, wait on the Lord, then see what incredible things he does.

I'm not sure that will stop bullying right away, but I do know it will impact my relationship with God. And since we've tried everything as a society except for God, maybe it's time to try this instead.


I love you, O LORD, my strength.
The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised,
and I am saved from my enemies.
The cords of death encompassed me;
the torrents of destruction assailed me;
the cords of Sheol entangled me;
the snares of death confronted me.
In my distress I called upon the LORD;
to my God I cried for help.
From his temple he heard my voice,
and my cry to him reached his ears.
Then the earth reeled and rocked;
the foundations also of the mountains trembled
and quaked, because he was angry.
Smoke went up from his nostrils,
and devouring fire from his mouth;
glowing coals flamed forth from him.
He bowed the heavens and came down;
thick darkness was under his feet.
He rode on a cherub and flew;
he came swiftly on the wings of the wind.
He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him,
thick clouds dark with water.
(Psalm 18:1-11 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment