Sunday, September 23, 2012

Like father, like son...

I remember when my oldest son was 3 years old. I would take him to the toy store and walk about 3 steps in front of him with my hands clasped behind my back. He would try to do the same thing. Every once in a while I would pick up something that I thought he would be interested in. He would do the the same... looking at it intently. I would put it down, and he would do the same and we would continue on our journey.

He... wanted to be like me. If I sat down and read a book, he would sit next to me. If I went outside, he would come outside. He was learning who I was.

Today, he's 20 years old, and if you saw the 2 of us together, you would know that he's my son. The way he stands, the way he carries himself. His sense of humor. The subtle and sly glances that he gives when there's an inside joke.

This is the same way that Jesus was.

"So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing. And greater works than these will he show him, so that you may marvel" John 5:19-20

Jesus made is plain... when you looked at Him, you saw His Father.

Now, we say that we have God as our Father - and that we are His children. My question is - when people see us, do they see our Heavenly Father?

Let us struggle this week to live our lives in such a way that people will know who our Father is!

Note: Although this is a Father and Son reference, this applies to everyone that knows Jesus as their Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment