Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Personal Inventory

Every once in a while, I like to do a personal inventory to make sure that my life is in order. Things on my checklist are things like: when was the last time I reviewed my personal budget, when was the last time I made sure my cell phone plan was the best that is offered, when was my last dentist appointment, when was my last physical.

Those are the big things, but we also do this on a more regular basis in our lives: have I done laundry, have I paid all of my bills, did I record the TV program that I wanted to watch later?

Some of us even take a spiritual inventory - do I go to church on a regular basis, do I pray, do I read my Bible or at least try to do a devotion.

This morning, in my prayer time, I felt the need to take that a step further. How does my life line up against the way Jesus lived?

Jesus said, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." John 10:10

So, today's checklist revolves around what does abundant life look like?

Is abundant life wealth?

And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." - Matthew 8:20

Is abundant life having those around you that you can depend on?

When Jesus was in the garden of Gethsemane, "[Jesus] came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, "So, you could not watch with me one hour?" Shortly after that, all of those closest to Him scattered.

We can go through a whole list that shows that the abundant life that Jesus is talking about is not fully rooted in this life.

Jesus says, "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5 ESV)


Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work. Do you not say, ‘There are yet four months, then comes the harvest’? Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest. Already the one who reaps is receiving wages and gathering fruit for eternal life, so that sower and reaper may rejoice together." (John 4:34-36 ESV)

The last this that Jesus said before he ascended into heaven was


And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20 ESV)

Abundant life is bearing fruit. Making disciples. Teaching people who God is and His way to salvation through Jesus.

In the early church, people were called Christians because they did what Jesus did. Talk about the Father and tell people that Jesus is the only way for them to be reconciled back to God. My challenge for you today is to do a personal inventory and whether or not your life is truly an abundant life bearing fruit. If you aren't, don't worry, it's not the end of the world. Simply ask God to help you. He promised he would.

No comments:

Post a Comment