Monday, September 17, 2012

Sometimes, running hurts...

There was a time when I loved to run but I was about 20 years younger and 35 pounds lighter. Earlier this summer, I rediscovered the joy of running... or rather... jogging. It was refreshing to get back out there again. The thing about running is that it hurts sometimes. When you're just starting out, your body isn't use to pounding the pavement. There are times when your lungs hurt. There are times when you are absolutely positive that you will not be able to go on... but somehow you do.

Christianity really isn't that different.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so gread a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run  with endurance the race that is set before us..." Hebrews 12:1

Just like I can feel the extra 35 pounds that I carry when I run, when we live our Christian life, we also can feel the weight of sin that we carry in our lives, and we can see how that impacts our relationship with God.

 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.(1 Corinthians 9:24-27)

So... my challenge to you this week is to take a look at your relationship with God. Are you living your life in such a way that you can be the best that you can be or are you trying to carry some excess baggage?

Let us struggle to "train" ourselves so we can run this Christian race well... getting into shape is going to hurt... but it will all be with it when we receive the prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment