Friday, October 26, 2012

Can you hear me now?

 
I remember when I first became a Dad. It was amazing how I could pick out my child's cry in a crowded place. As they got older, I could distinctly hear their voice and their tone... even in a room full of loud kids.

The more interesting thing is that over time, as they grew and got older, they had the ability to do the same. They could pick out my voice and respond to it quite easily.

When I married Lisa, her son was 8 years old. I could literally be one room away and call him and he would not respond to what I said. His Mom could simply ask, without even raising her voice if she heard me calling him, and he would respond quickly at the sound of her voice. Why? Because she spent time with him, and he recognized her voice.

It's taken about 2 years of knowing Evan and spending time with him in order to get him to recognize my voice.

It's the same with God. Jesus says:

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27
When was the last time you heard the voice of God, and responded by following His prompting?

That's why today's picture is of an iceberg and not an ear. When you look at an iceberg, you just see the top. It's so easy to get distracted by what you see, that you don't realize how enormous the iceberg is. It's almost like the world is the part of the iceberg that we see, and God is the enormous part under the water that makes the whole iceberg move and float. We pay so much attention to what we see that we miss the part that we can't see.

This weekend, let's really spend some time with God. Let's learn to recognize His voice and learn to respond to it. You will be amazed at how much more effective your relationship with God will become and how much more effectively you will be able to reach out to those who are in need of a savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment