Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What are you looking at?

  
There are some things I will never do. It is safe to say that I will never smoke. My Dad, Aunts and Uncles grew up on a tobacco farm and have all used tobacco products since their early teens. I have seen the effect of that on their lives, so I will never go down that path. It is a part of who I am.

I will never drink. I have seen too many people in my life struggle with the control of alcoholism and how it affects those around them.

I am a Christian, I have seen the effects of sin, but I cannot say with the same conviction that I will never sin. Why is that?

I use to think that it was in how I saw myself. I see myself  as all of the above. I don't see myself as a smoker, I don't see myself as a drinker, I see myself as a Christian, but that really isn't it. It goes deeper into identity.

I have seen the impact of smoking and alcohol on my extended family, and I don't want to identify with that.

The problem is, we see people who are Christians, and we see people who make mistakes and ask for forgiveness all the time. We aren't perfect and we can identify with that. It's a part of the cycle.

When we look at other Christians as the benchmark of who we are supposed to be, we will always find an excuse to not be who Christ has called us to be.

Maybe, it is time for us to really look at Christ for our identity. Who does He say that we are? How would He handle a situation? Why don't we live in the grace that He has given us and not some bastardized version where we only do what's right when someone is looking, or only when it's convenient?

It's a problem that has existed since the fall in the garden. Early on God asks the question:

"If you do well, will you not be accepted? If you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it." Gen 4:7

Isn't that the way that we live? We try to do what's right? Most people say that they try to live by the Golden Rule... the operative word is try.

I think that question is rhetorical. God knows that we cannot "do well." He gave us the 10 Commandments and allowed for priests to offer sacrifices, and we still could not "do well." It is impossible for us to rule over sin, ourselves.

The only way that this can happen is if we lose ourselves in who Christ is and wrap ourselves in His identity.

We need to live out "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me." Gal 2:20

We need to struggle to make this a part of our every day life. In the decisions that we make. In the way we relate to others. Take a moment today and assess your life. Are you still trying on your own? Your strength? Or are you living life through faith in God? It makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment