Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Backyard gardens...

We had a vegetable garden in our back yard when I was growing up. Every year, we would plant tomatoes, green beans, collard greens, and a few other items. Every year my Father would get out there and work the ground, plant the seeds, remove the weeds by hand, build trellises for the tomatoes and beans. At the end of the year, he would happily go out there, pick the food and for a few weeks we would have fresh home grown vegetables. There wasn't enough food to get us through the winter - just enough to enjoy some home cooked food with the work of his hand.

One year, when I turned 8 or 9, my Dad called me into the back yard with him. He showed me how to till the ground. That's how it all started. For the rest of the year every time the garden needed to be tended, I was out there by his side learning, step by step. At the end of the year, he taught me the proper way to pick the fruits and vegetables in a way not to damage the fruit.

The next year, I did more of the gardening while he watched. He successfully taught me how to garden.

That... is discipleship in the nutshell.

When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like a sheep without a shepherd. He said to his disciples, "The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields." (Matt 9:36-38 NLT)
The first thing that Jesus did when he began to disciple who we later call The Apostles was - pray that God send workers.

The thing is... when the workers get there... just like my Dad did to me, we're going to have to teach them how to work the field...

So, here's my challenge for you today. Take a moment and look around you. Notice the people that are hurting. Ask God to make you aware of the people that need Him... and pray that he sends workers.

Selah.

1 comment:

  1. This post is a blessing. It will be the focus of my prayers today.

    ReplyDelete