Friday, November 11, 2011

Impossible? That's what you think...

Somewhere along the way, I think a lot of Christians got confused. There is this belief that we can ask God for anything that we want, and He will give it to us. We are taught that if we just have faith, the size of a mustard seed... that we can ask for anything we want and God will do it. Nothing will be impossible. (Matt 17:19-20)

So, one day, something happens... and we pray, and pray, and pray, and pray... and the situation doesn't get better. So we get angry with God. Our faith gets shaken. In the future, when is comes time to pray, we only pray half hearted.

Maybe our premise is wrong.

Jesus said that he came to do the will of the the One that sent him. (John 6:38). What if Jesus was truly saying God will ask you to do things that you think are impossible, but if you ask Him to do what he says, and believe - He will make it happen.


Ezekiel 37:1-7
 1 The Lord took hold of me, and I was carried away by the Spirit of the Lord to a valley filled with bones. 2 He led me all around among the bones that covered the valley floor. They were scattered everywhere across the ground and were completely dried out. 3 Then he asked me, “Son of man, can these bones become living people again?”
   “O Sovereign Lord,” I replied, “you alone know the answer to that.”
 4 Then he said to me, “Speak a prophetic message to these bones and say, ‘Dry bones, listen to the word of the Lord! 5 This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Look! I am going to put breath into you and make you live again! 6 I will put flesh and muscles on you and cover you with skin. I will put breath into you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.’”
 7 So I spoke this message, just as he told me. Suddenly as I spoke, there was a rattling noise all across the valley. The bones of each body came together and attached themselves as complete skeletons.
But this is extreme, right? Things like this just don't happen... this was a vision... wasn't it?
John 6:5-7 
5 When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, “Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?” 6 He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.
 7 Philip answered him, “It would take more than half a year’s wages[a] to buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!”
God knows what he is going to do. I know sometimes what he asks of us seems impossible... but we need to believe that He is faithful... so maybe, when you feel God is asking us to do the impossible, we should pray... have faith... and watch Him do the impossible.

That's the kind of faith and relationship that I want to have with God... I want to show myself faithful in the small things so He will show me how big He really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment