Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What are you using to measure?

Most of the people that I know are battling their weight on some level. I know people that go to the doctor, step on the scale, then when they see the weight, immediately start making excuses and say things like - "I can take 10 pounds off for my shoes, clothes, keys, and the 3 pennies that I have in my pocket..."

The truth is, if you're trying to shave 10 pounds, you probably have more than 10 pounds that you need to worry about.

But we try to rationalize things using the scale in our mind... and as a result, we rarely do anything about the belly fat that resides around our mid section. The problem is - we are trying to rationalize with an objective measure, and our justification in our own mind, doesn't change the reality.

This spills over into our work life. We compare ourselves to what we perceive others doing at work, and even worse... we do the same thing in the church.

The question is... as Christians, what should we be measuring ourselves against?

In Leviticus 20:7, it says "Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the Lord your God. He goes further in verse 8 and says "And you shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the Lord that sanctifies you."

God is basically saying He is the line that we should want to measure ourselves by. We need to considere ourselves sacred or a holy people. And as we continue in living a holy life, God will help us achieve that. But... we have to be willing. We have to decide!

But surely, that's just in the old testament... we are under grace now, right?

1 Peter 1:16 - Because it is written, be holy for I am holy.

Today, let's struggle to do more than what is needed to get by. Let us strive to be all that God has called us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment