Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What does it mean to disciple someone?

When I was in high school we had the opportunity to take a lump of clay, use a pottery wheel and make a little earthen vase. No matter how hard I tried, no matter how many times I started over, my lump of clay never took any form that looked like anything. I think when I was all done, I had this short, shallow, leaning, malformed, lumpy thing that I called an ash tray. In reality, it wasn't even good enough to hold ash because of the cracks in the side.

I didn't realize until today why I was never able to make anything. It's because I didn't have an idea of what I wanted it to look like, I half expected it to form itself. There was no plan. The clay was there. The pottery wheel was there. My fingers, some water and a sponge was there. I had all the elements, so a beautiful work of art should just form... right?

In reality, it takes vision and intent to make something out of nothing. You have to have a plan.

I was talking with a friend of mine from college last night. We were discussing what it was like when we were in college and involved in campus ministry. When we got there, we were just these lumps of misshaped clay, and by the time we graduated, we had been made into disciples. We knew what we believed, we knew how to teach others and we were on fire. Our campus leaders knew how to equip us.

When Jesus started his ministry he said these words:

Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people! (Matt 4:19 NLT)

For the next 3 1/2 years, he taught them. As a matter of fact, the last thing that Jesus says before going back to heaven was:

I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age. (Matt 28:18-20)
My mind drifts back to a book... "Disciples are made not born" by Walter A. Henrichsen ... I may have to dig that up for a refresher...

No comments:

Post a Comment