Sunday, January 8, 2012



"All Christians struggle, and people need to know that. If they come to Christ for the wrong reasons, then when life doesn't go as they think it should, they will walk away from Jesus disappointed. Or they will think they must have done something wrong and that God hasn't saved them because they are too evil. If we act as if we're always on fire for Jesus and they know they are not, they will think something is really wrong with them." Jim Putman - Real-Life Discipleship: Building Churches That Make Disciples 
I will be the first person to admit that I don't get it right all the time. That's why I write this blog - because I realize that I'm in the fight of my life and I struggle on a daily basis to keep in my mind that God loves me and because He loves me, I need to show my love to Him by keeping His commandments. (See John 14:15)

 I like what the author said - it resonated with me this morning. I have met a lot of Christians that believe that because they are Christians nothing bad will ever happen to them. Then... when there's a problem - when they can't find work and their college loans are due, they panic because they weren't prepared for the moment.

We do a disservice to those we witness to when we tell them that everything will be fine when we become a Christian. We need to let people know that Christians have an adversary, who like a lion is walking around, seeing who he can devour (1 Peter 5:8).

Jesus himself said that we would have trouble in this world, but gives us the future promise that He overcomes the world - which means that even in trial and adversity, we can have joy in knowing the His promises are true. (John 16:32-33)

Let's be aware that when we disciple others and share Jesus with them that we let them know that they are in for a fight... but God gives us joy and peace in the midst of it all. Let's us preach the full gospel so that people will not be tripped up unexpectedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment