Friday, January 20, 2012

Is it just a tick mark on a to do list?

Have you ever been really thirsty after doing some activity or work out? I have. I remember running to get water... and how it seemed like the water was absorbed into my body before it actually reached my stomach. I remember drinking so fast that the water spilled out of the side of my mouth and dribbled down my chin... because I was thirsty.

I needed water.

King David, describes his desire for God the same way. In Psalms 42:1-2 (New Living Translation) he says:

As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go stand before him?

And in Psalm 63:1-3 (New Living Translation) he says

O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My Soul thirst for you; my whole body longs for you and in this parched and weary land where this is no water. I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory. Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you!
This morning, the question was poised to me this way:
"Is your time with God a check mark on your to-do list, or is like an anticipated meeting with an old friend?"
That was the question that God placed on my heart this morning as I was laying in bed waiting for my alarm to go off. I remember a time where almost every night I would have a half dozen Bibles open drinking in everything that the Bible said about God, His character, and His love for me. I always had something that I wanted to share with others.

I would also meet my friend Riley at the park at 5 am in the morning - where we would have prayer time. My life centered around God. I knew I needed Him because His blessing was more important to my success than any effort that I could muster.

So, yeah... I blog. And yeah... I am doing a Bible study with a couple people, but is my passion really to spend time with God, or do I get distracted by everything I have to do in the world?

Let's remember that what we have with God is relationship... it's not a check mark or a to do list. Our relationship with God is life.

1 comment:

  1. I typed in weary and came across this post. Thanks for blogging; it really gave me a new outlook on my "time" with God. I'm so busy being busy,that I hadn't realized my prayer/Bible time has been truly a check mark on a to-do list.

    I've got to find a way to make it more personalized.

    Tia

    ReplyDelete