Monday, January 23, 2012

What really matters?

Being a Christian isn't easy. We are expected to be different than "the world." People go out and drink, party, sexual encounters which I guess is intimacy with others... but we... go to church, sing songs of praise, generally don't drink (or if we do, it's in moderation, right?), we don't party (that much...), and sex... yeah... that's reserved for marriage (isn't it?).

Why? What's the point? What drives us?

The Bible says that God is love. It also says: "For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten son that who soever believes in Him shall not parish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

So... love drives God... what about us?

The Bible says:
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no on than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. (John 15:12-14 NIV)
What does it mean to lay down your life? To me, today, it means - if there's something that I really want to do and you need me? I am going to put your needs first.. or at least try to.

The end game revolves around relationship. People need people to show them love, and kindness. I know there are times when I need people to show that they love me... that I'm not an afterthought or a checklist.

So... as we go out into the world this week... let's look at "the world" not as having people that we have to endure, or people that bother and annoy us... look at the people as though they need love... and show that love to them...

1 Corinthians 13:1-7 New Life Version (NLV)
 1 I may be able to speak the languages of men and even of angels, but if I do not have love, it will sound like noisy brass. 2 If I have the gift of speaking God’s Word and if I understand all secrets, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I know all things and if I have the gift of faith so I can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give everything I have to feed poor people and if I give my body to be burned, but do not have love, it will not help me.
 4 Love does not give up. Love is kind. Love is not jealous. Love does not put itself up as being important. Love has no pride. 5 Love does not do the wrong thing. Love never thinks of itself. Love does not get angry. Love does not remember the suffering that comes from being hurt by someone. 6 Love is not happy with sin. Love is happy with the truth. 7 Love takes everything that comes without giving up. Love believes all things. Love hopes for all things. Love keeps on in all things.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment