Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Why does it matter?

My oldest son is in college. He finished up his first semester year with a low A average. I was proud of him. Now... he's in his sophomore year, and things are getting a little tougher. This semester was harder for him. At one point he called me and said "Dad, you really have to study!" I laughed because I had been trying to build this habit in him for a long time.

I remember college - there are a lot of activities going on - and studying always seemed to get in the way. There were far more things that I wanted to do! Admittedly, my first semester of college I felt the same and finished up that semester with a 1.7 grade point average... out of 4.0!

Without studying, I wasn't prepared for the tests. That... was a rude awakening. I went on to graduate with a 3.9 grade point average - but it took discipline.. and study. More than that, it took meditating on what I was learning and finding ways to apply it to every day life so it would stick with me. I remember driving down the road working out physics problems on angular velocity and centripetal and centrifugal force. That's what it took in order to become a better student.

The Bible says that we should "study to show ourselves approved...", but it goes deeper than that. We shouldn't be studying just so we can show our friends that we know a thing or two about what the Bible says. It goes deeper than that.

Studying the word of God and meditating on it will cause God's words to become a part of us. It will get into our heart! And that... is what will help us in our Christian struggle. The Psalmist understood this when he said
"Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against God." Psalms 119:11
Having God's word in our hearts changes us and our outlook on life - just like studying changed me from being a failing student to being at the head of the class.

So... let's start this year off making scripture memory a part of our Christian life.

No comments:

Post a Comment