Friday, October 14, 2011

High school memories...

When I was in high school, I had a crush on this girl named Kate. She liked me too, but for some strange reason, couldn't date me. She would, however, take up as much of my free time as she possibly could. Almost every night during our brief "courtship" she would call me and say things like:
Could you bring your guitar to school tomorrow and play for me? If you do, I love you , I love you, I love you... but if you don't I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.
Eventually, SHE decided that the nature of our relationship wasn't making either of us happy, so she decided that I needed to date someone that I could actually spend time with. It's been over 25 years and I still remember her words...
I am going to help you find someone to date, but just know, whoever she is, I will hate her... and I will hate you for dating her!
 The question is... what does this story have to do with struggling to be a Christian? Everything!

God asks us to love Him. He makes it easy for us. He's consistent. He loves us. He wants to talk with us on a regular basis... but we act like a high school girl named Kate. We give God ultimatums, we throw temper tantrums, we get jealous when he does things for other people. We give Him what we want to, not paying much attention to what He really wants from us.

Take a look at this video...

It's funny... but it's true at the same time.

So, I guess my question for me today is... how do I show God I love Him, and is it consistent?


Matthew 22:36-38
The Message (MSG)
 34-36When the Pharisees heard how he had bested the Sadducees, they gathered their forces for an assault. One of their religion scholars spoke for them, posing a question they hoped would show him up: "Teacher, which command in God's Law is the most important?"
 37-40Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.' This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them."



No comments:

Post a Comment