Monday, October 3, 2011

I have a plan...

I am a planner. I like to think things out. If you ask me a question, I'll think things through and give you a really good answer. As a consultant, my job title should  be "Problem Solver" because I'm good at it.

The problem is that when it comes to Christianity, God wants all the praise and the glory. We... or, should I say I want to take the credit for what I've accomplished.

When I was in college, I met this guy that wore a cross around his neck that was almost as large as a hub cap. We identified each other as Christians. The primary difference was in how we talked about our day.

Here's an excerpt of our conversation:

Him: I led 15 people to the Lord today.
Me:  That's good, we're having prayer meeting tonight to intercede for the campus and meet to disciple some  people that want to strengthen their walk with God.
Him: I've led 45 people to Christ this week. What have you done? I'm going to bed early so I can wake up in the morning and pray the sun up.
I wish I knew what happened to him, but I don't really remember him past that first semester. What I do know is that the group of people that I started with, are still continuing in the faith, still seeking God's face and still have a desire to  disciple and serve where God leads.

It's not about us and our actions, it's about serving with a servants heart and being obedient.

Honestly, I have to remind myself of that from time to time.

Proverbs 16:2-4
New International Version (NIV)
All a person's ways seem pure to them, but the motives are weighed by the LORD.
Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.


No comments:

Post a Comment