Sunday, October 30, 2011

Your first love...

I was in the shower this morning thinking about my Mom and Dad. My Dad died about 3 years ago, but he was married to my Mom for over 50 years. Sometimes, just out of the blue, she'll smile and strike up a conversation about a memory of him.

I closed my eyes, and decided to think about my first crush, the first person that I KNEW that I loved when I was 13 years old. My 17 year old crush. I could vividly remember things about all of them. Things that made me smile.

Then, I felt God asking me the following questions:

  • What do you love about God?
  • When was the last time thinking about me made you smile?
  • Do you sit down and tell others about time that we spent together or something that we did?
I think we all struggle with times when we're close to God and times when we wander off. Sometimes, we go years without even thinking about what he wants us to do, we're on automatic.

That's not a way for any kind of relationship to grow. It causes us to drift away.

Admittedly, I struggle with that sometimes. I get in the habit of treating the relationship casually, because I know he'll always be there... and there's always later. But just like my early crushes... even with the help of Facebook... I may never find them... and if I did, I doubt my feelings would be the same.

The Bible talks about how we should love God because He first loved us. He is our first love... so, let's try not be live out the warning in the Bible about wandering away from our first love.

Let's not confuse our religious habits with relationship.

Revelation 2:3-5
The Message (MSG)
2-3"I see what you've done, your hard, hard work, your refusal to quit. I know you can't stomach evil, that you weed out apostolic pretenders. I know your persistence, your courage in my cause, that you never wear out.
 4-5"But you walked away from your first love—why? What's going on with you, anyway? Do you have any idea how far you've fallen? A Lucifer fall!
   "Turn back! Recover your dear early love. No time to waste, for I'm well on my way to removing your light from the golden circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment