Thursday, October 27, 2011

What do you really look like?

A few years ago, I learned something kind of disturbing. I learned that I had a distorted body image. What this basically means is that when I looked in the mirror, my mind did not recognize the reality of what the mirror said, instead - I viewed myself in an unhealthy way.

I was an athlete when I was in college. I had around 3% body fat, 6 pack abs, perfectly chiseled body. I was 185 pounds of solid muscle and as a soccer player at the top of his game could run for hours without getting tired. After 10 years of marriage, I was 285 pounds, a truck tire for abs, and a body like the Pillsbury dough boy. 

My problem was, when I looked in the mirror, I could not picture myself as being overweight. I saw myself as the fit and proportioned person I was in my youth. And because I couldn't see the truth, I continued to eat the same way that I did when I was young and I continued to gain weight.

I went to the doctor for my annual physical... my elevated blood pressure and excessive weight prompted the doctor to say "You are fat, you need to get up off your lazy behind and exercise."

I couldn't believe the words that came out of his mouth! I was in disbelief. When I got home, I took off my shirt, looked in the mirror, and for the first time could see all of the weight that I had gained.

When I saw the truth, I realized I had to change my ways.

I worked hard... I lost nearly 60 pounds. But in all honesty, I haven't been as diligent as I once was. I think I've gained 20 of those pounds back and I'm slipping back into the way things use to be.

I'm telling you this story, because I think most of us can relate to this is our own lives.

But, what does this have to do with Christianity?

James 1:22-24
The Good News Translation
22 Do not deceive yourselves by just listening to his word; instead, put it into practice.23 If you listen to the word, but do not put it into practice you are like people who look in a mirror and see themselves as they are.24 They take a good look at themselves and then go away and at once forget what they look like.25 But if you look closely into the perfect law that sets people free, and keep on paying attention to it and do not simply listen and then forget it, but put it into practice—you will be blessed by God in what you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment