Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's hard to pray sometimes...

It's really easy for me to pray for other people. It's easy for me to pray in front of a crowd. It's difficult for me to pray for me.

I have never really been one to ask people for anything. I would almost rather suffer in silence than ask someone for help.

When it comes to the big things in life, it's easy for me to have faith in God that he'll act when His time is right, and I am patient enough to wait... and when God does move, I try really hard to give Him all the praise.

But... here's the deal. Faith is good, but God also wants us to pray. The only way to pray effectively is to be humble, open your mouth... and pray.

My oldest son is in college. I know there are things that he needs, but I generally don't send him money because it would get spent on fast food or other leisure activities. I wait for him to ask. That way, I know his needs are being met. He called me the other day and asked me for $40. That's not a lot of money, but he needed it because the weather got cool unexpectedly, and as an athletic training major who is working with the football team this rotation, needed to have something warm to wear.

He asked.... and I gave him what he needed.

His response to me was, "Dad, you know I hate asking for anything. So you know I only ask when it's a real need."

He recognized that he couldn't accomplish something on his own, he humbled himself... and he asked. He asked not from a sense of entitlement, but in a "if you could please do this for me..." No trying to guilt me into acting... just a humble request.

He received it, not because he earned it, but because I love him as a son.

That's what God wants from us. He wants us to humble ourselves and ask. Not because we deserve it. Not because we think he owes us... but because what we need done is bigger than what we can accomplish and we need his help to accomplish it.

Now... the difference in me being a Dad and God being our heavenly Father is this... I want my son to grow up and be independent. God wants us to grow up and depend on Him. If we depend on God, He will lead us to accomplish things that are beyond our wildest dreams!


2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

1 Peter 5:6-7
New Life Version (NLV)
6 So put away all pride from yourselves. You are standing under the powerful hand of God. At the right time He will lift you up. 7 Give all your worries to Him because He cares for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment