Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Not "why?" it should be "why not!"


One of the primary places that I've seen Christians struggle is when it comes to difficult times. People have these deep "why" questions - "Why did my child have to die?" or "Why do I have to deal with cancer." or, in this economy "Why can't I find a job."

When they ask most Christians, we just give them the same answer that in the moment we even feel is kind of a crutch.

God has a plan.

Yeah, we know that God has a plan, but the fact that He hasn't written it in 10 foot tall flaming letters in the sky so we can understand it, doesn't really help in the moment when people are grasping for anything to hold on to.

One of the Bible promises that I hold on to is: "In this world you will have troubles, but take heart, I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

I have built my faith from the beginning to expect difficult times and have a slew of Bible verses that I can hang on to in times of testing and trial.

I am not some super Christian, but I have spent 7 months unemployed. During which time I got to see my Father, an incredible man of God suffer the full effects of both cancer and dementia and was with him when he drew his last breath.

I know what it's like to not have ends meet. I once dubbed my budget "Gone in 60 seconds" because it would all be allocated as soon as... no, before I got paid.

But, through it all, I have still looked to God.

Why?

Because I know that through good or bad, God's primary desire is for me to have the best possible relationship with Him. Heaven is the goal. It would be great to be rich, not have to worry about where my next meal is coming from, or whether all my bills will be met. The short lifetime that we live here... is nothing compared to eternity with God.

The original apostles that Jesus knew this. Most of the apostles that Jesus chose, realized the importance of their faith and most of them were martyred so the good news would be spread by people that loved God more than their own lives.

Phillipians 2 (New Living Translation) says that we should have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though He was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privilegesl he took the humble position of slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross. Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him a name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of the Father.

Somehow, we have it in our minds that all should be good. We are the exemptions.

And that... is why we struggle during difficult times. Instead of asking God to get us out of the situation, we need to ask how we can bring Him glory through our actions. I'm sure He will grant us His grace to endure. And... isn't that what we need to show people? That our loyalty to God isn't shaken... regardless of the situation? I know I want to be surrounded by Christians like that.

James 1:2-8
New Living Translation

2 Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.
 5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. 6 But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. 7 Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment