Thursday, April 19, 2012

Half full?

When I grew up, we would run around outside for hours and hours. We would ride bikes, climb, chase, crawl, roll... that's a hard days work for a kid. "Work" like that will really build a huge thirst. When it was time to get something to drink, there was nothing better than drinking water from a hose. Whether it came out warm or cool, it didn't matter. We just wanted to drink and be refreshed.

At that moment, there was nothing better than the taste of that water. The taste was a familiar rubbery goodness that I will never forget.

Now that I'm older, I can drink whatever kind of water I want. Tap, Fiji, Disani, filtered, Smart Water... The thing that gets me most is that most people that drink water you find a lot of bottles lying around that are slightly less than half full. If people don't finish the bottle, they'll just get a fresh bottle of water. They toss it away and move on to the next cool bottle of refreshment.

Sometimes, I treat the word of God like a half full bottle of water that's too warm. I go from my morning devotion, to my favorite radio ministers, to my favorite online blogs and never really take the time to let what I heard sink in. Think of it like running through a sprinkler. If you're thirsty, you'll never get all the water you need by running through a sprinkler. You have to be intentional, concentrate, drink it in...

So, that's my struggle for today. To take the time and really meditate on a single passage. Meditate on it to the point where it's life changing and not just informational...


1 Oh, the joys of those who do not
    follow the advice of the wicked,
    or stand around with sinners,
    or join in with mockers.
2 But they delight in the law of the Lord,
    meditating on it day and night.
3 They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
    bearing fruit each season.
Their leaves never wither,
    and they prosper in all they do. (Psalm 1:1-3 New Living Translation)


11I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.
12I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.
13Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God? (Psalm 77:11-13)





No comments:

Post a Comment