Saturday, April 7, 2012

Is it in you?


When I was in junior high school I tried to run track. I wasn't really fast, so they put me in distance races. At practice, we would have to run a 3 mile loop. I absolutely hated it. I hated it because I wasn't ready for it. The first mile would be easy. Then I would hit this thing called "the wall." The wall is this "block" that runners hit where they don't think they can go any further. Their body is fatigued, and you just cannot go another step.

The thing about "the wall" that most experienced runners know is that if you can press through, you'll get your second wind. You'll be able to continue to press forward.

This metaphor carries over into other aspects of life. Math has a wall. Learning an instrument has a wall. Sticking to a budget has a wall. Eating healthy has a wall. The only way to be successful is to endure and press through!

The Apostle Paul realized that.
 24You know that many runners enter a race, and only one of them wins the prize. So run to win! 25Athletes work hard to win a crown that cannot last, but we do it for a crown that will last forever. 26I don't run without a goal. And I don't box by beating my fists in the air. 27I keep my body under control and make it my slave, so I won't lose out after telling the good news to others. 1 Cor 9:24-27 Contemporary English Version
One of the reasons why runners press through to the end is because they realize that if they stop... they may never be able to get over that hurdle and finish the race. He also understands that what we are running towards is an eternity with our savior. As a result, he keeps this in mind. He presses forward.

Keeping the race metaphor, at towards the end of his life Paul tells Timothy,
 6Now the time has come for me to die. My life is like a drink offering being poured out on the altar. 7I have fought well. I have finished the race, and I have been faithful. 8So a crown will be given to me for pleasing the Lord. He judges fairly, and on the day of judgment he will give a crown to me and to everyone else who wants him to appear with power. 1 Timothy 4:4-6 Contemporary English Version
It's like a Gatorade commercial for Christians. Paul stands there having given everything he has. He has left it all on the field. He has been faithful to the faith... and God is standing there with the proverbial Gatorade to refresh him and give him his reward.

So... that's my struggle for this weekend. Press through. Push towards God. Just because it seems tough, don't give up. No Excuses. Bring it. Be tough. The beauty is, when I get tired, the shed blood of Jesus Christ  is there to refresh me. I have a high priest who knows that I have gone through and He will give me strength.
14We have a great high priest, who has gone into heaven, and he is Jesus the Son of God. That is why we must hold on to what we have said about him. 15Jesus understands every weakness of ours, because he was tempted in every way that we are. But he did not sin! 16So whenever we are in need, we should come bravely before the throne of our merciful God. There we will be treated with undeserved kindness, and we will find help. Hebrews 14:14-16 Contemporary English Version


No comments:

Post a Comment