Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hope... is closer than you think

We live in a world where there is no hope and where people who hope... hope for the wrong things. I know people that hope that they will fall in love one day. I know others hope that the economy will one day become better. People hope... The idea of hope has been on my mind due to a news article that I read earlier this week. The article was about 2 people in Italy that set themselves on fire because they had lost hope. I don't think I have ever seen this much hopelessness.

Christians have hope. The funny thing is that people look at us like we are crazy because we say we believe in Jesus, the son of God. We believe that God loved the whole world - that he gave his only son so that anyone that believes will not perish, but will have everlasting life (John 3:16) We believe that Jesus, the son of God, died for us and was raised again. Because he was raised again, we will be with Him in eternity... if we accept this free gift.

4-5But God was merciful! We were dead because of our sins, but God loved us so much that he made us alive with Christ, and God's wonderful kindness is what saves you. 6God raised us from death to life with Christ Jesus, and he has given us a place beside Christ in heaven. 7God did this so that in the future world he could show how truly good and kind he is to us because of what Christ Jesus has done. Ephesians 2:5-7 Contemporary English Version (CEV)

We can embrace this hope because we remember how our life was before we obtained this great salvation. Because Jesus freed us from serving sin - we know that He is true to His word and that we will be in heaven with Him one day.

Do I understand it? Quite honestly, no. Do I believe it? Yes... 100%.

Because I believe this, I worship God and serve him as Lord of my life. I always am ready to share with others why I hope and what I hope for. Never in a way that condemns people if they don't understand, but in a loving, patient, kind way. Although this sounds cliche, it's because "I may be the only Jesus they see."

I am not saying that I am equal to Jesus, at all. But I do want to live my life in such a way that when you see me, you see the grace of God shining through and you understand that my life is only possible by the work that Jesus did on the cross, and for that reason, I willingly submit and serve the Living God.
Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it. But do this in a gentle and respectful way. Keep your conscience clear. Then if people speak against you, they will be ashamed when they see what a good life you live because you belong to Christ. 1 Peter 3:15-16 NLT
As we go into the week, let us remember where our hope lies... and when we see others who are hopeless, be mindful because that may be our chance to share the saving love of God with someone who needs something to hope in.

No comments:

Post a Comment